4 ears corn
6 cups cold water
Kitchen twine, for securing
1. Pull corn husks to stalk end without removing them. Remove any silks, then return the husks to their place and tie with kitchen twine to secure (the husks will protect the corn as it grills). Soak corn in cold water 10 minutes to prevent the husks from burning.
2. Preheat grill to medium. Put corn on hot grill and cook 15 minutes or until tender, turning occassionally. Remove husks before serving.
5 FLAVOR VARIATIONS
1. BACON-CHEDDAR: Spread low-fat mayonnaise on still warm corn. Roll in 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese and 5 strips cooked bacon, chopped.
2. MEXICAN-STYLE STREET CORN: Spread low-fat mayonnaise on still warm corn. Roll in 1/2 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese. Sprinkle with chile powder. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
3. PIZZAIOLA SPREAD: Grate 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded, using a coarse box grater; strain and press out all excess liquid. Stir in 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese, 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped basil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread on corn.
4. TOASTED SESAME BUTTER: Stir together 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened; 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds; 1/2 teapsoon finely chopped cilantro; and 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil. Spread on corn; sprinkle with more sesame seeds.
5. GARLIC–OLD BAY BUTTER: Stir together 4 tablesoons salted butter, softened; 1 small clove garlic, pressed; and 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning. Spread on corn; sprinkle with more Old Bay seasoning, if desired.