Not that I have ever butchered anything, but this is very interesting read.
There’s a nip in the air today, bizarrely. At the football games these past two evenings, we’ve been grateful for the picnic quilt that’s always somehow left in the back seat. The cool night air got me to thinking of friends in Maine who are planning to butcher their own hogs for the first time very soon. We have to wait for colder nights before we tackle Levi and Sizzle, but it’s a good time to start mentally preparing.
This is the list of things we need to find, clean, sharpen and jury rig before the big day:
- A variety of knives
- A butcher’s saw
- A fairly level location with running water and something to hang the carcass from
- An indoor (bug and possum free) space to hang the halves
- A barrel and plenty of dry firewood
- A (working, ahem) vacuum sealer and plenty of bags
- Clean containers to sort sausage scraps and lard chunks into
- Trays for freezing or…
View original post 723 more words